Do you find yourself having backaches, bad digestion, or muscle tension? Well, could be your posture is not good. A good posture comes with numerous benefits and there simple yet practical ways you can improve on it. Let’s find out.
Benefits of good posture
- Reduced back pain: good posture significantly reduces the chances of annoying back pain allowing you to carry out your tasks with ease.
- Reduced risk of injury: if you move, sit, and stand in the right posture, then you lower the risk of straining your back, muscles, joints, and ligaments.
- Improved mood: a good posture also improves your mood. Why? Because your self-confidence and esteem are significantly improved. No longer do you walk with a hunched shoulders or a hanging head.
- Improved digestion: bad digestion is also caused by weak body posture, as such, good posture can improve it. This is because your organs such as the intestines will align properly reducing pressure on them.
- Improved concentration: since internal organs will align properly, movement of oxygen in your blood will improve providing the brain with much-needed oxygen.
7 Best Ways to Improve Your Posture
Now, how can you improve your posture? Let’s find out.
- Stand properly
Most people do not pay much attention to the way they stand and this can have a negative effect not only on posture but health. To stand properly:
- Stand tall with your shoulders relaxed and pulled back.
- Your feet should be shoulder-width apart.
- Tuck in your stomach
- Slightly bend your knees
- Face forward and distribute your body weight between your feet if you stand for long.
- Observe right posture when seated
To improve posture, you ought to sit well. For example:
- You should choose a chair and table that allows you to have your legs firmly on the ground
- You should sit upright.
- Your head and chin should be on the same level as your shoulders
- Legs and hips should be parallel
- Move around
Sitting in one area for too long and increase the risk for muscle tension and fatigue and you don’t want that. To mitigate this, wake up, walk around, and stretch at least after an hour of sitting down. Also, get involved in different tasks that work on different muscles.
- Do wall slide
If you’ve been sitting for a long time, you can do a simple wall slide exercise. It relieves muscle tension and fatigue. Here’s how to go about it:
- Stand upright with your back against a wall
- Place your feet shoulder-width apart
- Bring your arms up with the elbows pressed against the wall
- Inhale as you slide down against the wall until your knees form a 45-degree angle.
- Hold the position for as long as you can
- Stretch your knees to go back to the initial position
- Do plank exercises
Planks enable you to maintain or achieve an ideal body posture. Here’s how you go about it.
- Place your forearms parallel to the ground
- Ensure the elbows are in line with your shoulders
- Place your feet hip-width apart
- Ensure your back is flat
- Hold this position for 30 seconds
- Stretch your neck
If you’ve been using your phone or laptop for long, ensure to stretch your neck once in a while. Keeping your head looking down significantly strains your spine which leads to neck and back pain. Always lift your phone rather than bending your head.
- Use the right mattress
The way you sleep also affects your posture. As such, avoid saggy mattresses that alter the natural spine shape. Go for a firm mattress. Also, do not forget to use a comfortable pillow depending on your sleeping position.
Besides doing simple posture exercises, you can opt for posture-changing tools. Let’s look at a few.
AEVO Compact Posture Corrector -$35.98
Our pick is the AEVO posture corrector that enables you to keep your shoulders, spine, and back in the right position whether seated or standing. It is also made of fabric that is soft to your skin and thanks to its breathability, it does not irritate the skin.
This posture corrector fits and molds to your body shape and for added comfort, it comes with am underarm padding. With it, you can walk, exercise, sit, and do just about anything thanks to its unmatched durability.
If you are a tech-savvy person, then you should get yourself this app-controlled posture corrector. The best part: it does not come with shoulder straps, you just place it on your back. And with a posture reminder, you’ll always know when to adjust your posture.
You can set and analyze your goals thanks to the intuitive app. Within a few months, you’ll have regained your body’s natural posture. You can even track your posture position throughout the day. So if you want to correct your posture without too much on you, buy this simple yet effective device.
Finally, we have this posture trainer that you strap to any chair. This ensures you sit upright regardless of the chair’s shape. Besides. It is lightweight so you can carry it to your office or school. It lowers the risk for disc herniation and cervical kyphosis which is synonymous with people who sit for long.
It is also easy to clean and thanks to its waterproof property, it does not hold sweat. The exterior is made of a soft material that feels soft on your back.
As you can see, a good posture not only improves your moods, but also improves digestion, moving capabilities, and more. Also, watch how you sit, stand, and sleep. This way, you’ll be in a good position to improve on it. Alternatively, you can use posture correctors. So, how do you plan to improve your posture? Let us know in the comment section.