With technology getting advanced every day, it is getting more and more convenient for us to conduct our everyday tasks. When it comes to cooking, we lookout for easy and quick methods to save us some time. One of the very popular kitchen appliances, the toast oven, has made cooking easy and convenient for use. Instead of making recipes in a time-consuming traditional method, we can cook using a toast oven. You will find many upgraded toaster ovens in the market with advanced features such as touch buttons, timer, defrost option, and other features. Some versions even come with an incorporated rotisserie or griddle. We have gathered all the important information in this article that you need to know about how to use a toast oven. So, let us walk you through this guide:
Advantages of Toaster Ovens
This upgraded and versatile appliance has made cooking easy for everyone. It is becoming a permanent part of many households. Here are some of the benefits that will make you buy one for your kitchen too:
- Compact Size: As we all know, having compact-sized appliances is like a blessing. No one wants their kitchen to look overcrowded. The toast ovens are small in size and can easily fit into kitchen cabinets without taking extra space.
- Energy Efficient: Using a toast oven will save you a lot of money on your electricity bills, which is also a major reason why people prefer this appliance over other traditional ovens. A toast oven only uses 1200 to 1800 watts to function, which makes it an energy-efficient appliance.
- Perfect for baking and cooking: The best thing about using a toast oven is that you can bake or cook lots of recipes faster than a conventional microwave. A traditional oven also allows you to cook food by circulating hot air equally but what makes a toast oven better is its energy efficiency.
How to Use a Toaster Oven?
Here are the 3 basic toaster oven settings that you can use to cook food at home:
1) Bake Setting:
This setting is the most popular one used by professionals, couples, and even kids to bake cakes, croissants, pastries, and much more.
Preheating the oven is the first and foremost thing to do. Unlike the conventional oven, a toaster oven takes less time to preheat. Mix all the ingredients as guided by the recipe and then, put it in the oven. A toaster oven will cook it faster than the usual time. Make sure to check and rotate the pan in between. You will be following these basic settings:
- Choose the “Bake” setting
- Enter the temperature as guided by the recipe
- Set the time mentioned in the instructions
- Preheat the oven
- Once done, place the container for the recipe to be baked
2) Broil Setting:
In the broiling process, the heat comes from one side that is from the top. Broiling is great for melting cheese or roasting vegetables. These are the basic instructions to follow for broiling:
- The toaster oven does not have to be preheated in this case
- Just place the pan in
- Make sure the pan is boiler-safe
- The heat will come from the top. In case, you want brown on both sides, flip the veggies.
- You can set the temperature in between 300°F and 500°F.
- You can also set the intensity of the heat by choosing High, Medium, or Low
3) The Toast Setting:
As the name suggests, you can make toasts for your family and yourself anytime you want. When it is set on the toast setting, heat is generated from both top and bottom elements, circulating equally. For toasting a slice or bun, you can also control the intensity of the heat, using a temperature dial. Some toasters come with a temperature dial while others have a digital screen. In addition to that, the placement of the tray or pan plays an important role as well. Make sure you do not burn the bread by keeping it on the top rack for a long time.
Things to Avoid While Using a Toaster Oven
There are a few things that you need to consider while using a toaster oven. First of all, make sure you are not using materials such as parchment paper, foil, or Pyrex dishes as it can be dangerous to use. These materials are not made for use in an oven or a microwave.
Many people do not bother to read the instructions and precautions mentioned in the booklet or on the box of a toaster oven. But it is crucial to not miss reading the guidelines for a safe cooking and baking experience.
Another common mistake that many people make is they do not clean the toaster oven enough. Cleanliness is important for hygiene purposes and also to increase the lifespan of your oven. The ovens that are not cleaned on a regular basis are more prone to burning food. The pieces, grease, and crumbs can overheat producing a burnt smell and can even catch fire.
A toaster oven is a great thing to have in your kitchen especially if you are looking for a compact size oven. You can save a lot of money and effort using this versatile kitchen appliance. Make sure to choose the right toaster oven item for your cooking and baking needs and avoid the common mistakes mentioned above for efficient results.